I’m not planning to make money off traveling, but I’m not a baller either. So I needed to start with a budget. For 12 months I’m looking at $18,250 ($50/day).
I’ll be tracking expenses so check back.
How I plan to stay on budget:
- Traveling (somewhat) slowly during shoulder seasons
- Using miles for flights (AA, UAL, and credit card ↓)
- Staying at hostels and AirBNBs
- Being my cheap self
- US-based Charles Schwab has a checking account which refunds all ATM fees. You have to open a brokerage account with the high-yield checking.
- If I get robbed, I’m going to keep a low balance on checking and then transfer between the two accounts (brokerage and checking) when I need dough.
- At some point I’m going to check into housesitting, volunteering and working (here or here).. Not sure I’m ready for Couchsurfing yet.